Here at St Judes, RE and Collective Worship are seen as an essential part of the children’s life and development.
Our aims are;
- To introduce the children to the life of Jesus Christ and to those who have responded to his life and teaching.
- To provide the children with access to a faith by which to live.
- To develop and enable children to express their own beliefs and values.
- To encourage attitudes of openness and sensitivity towards people whose religious beliefs and customs may be different from their own.
- With other areas of the curriculum, to contribute towards the children’s spiritual, moral, cultural and social development.
We work closely with the Southwark Diocesan Board of Education who provide support for our staff and create our RE curriculum. Using this curriculum as a scaffold, the teachers plan and deliver exciting and stimulating lessons which encourage the children to deepen their thinking and develop spirituality.
RE holds a very high profile at our school which is enhanced further by our focus week that take place in the Summer Term. The children enjoyed our Multi-Faith week, where they had valuable opportunities to experience and learn about arrange of other faiths.
Collective Worship or assemblies are held every day in the hall for the whole school, or in Key Stage groups. This is a special time for coming together for prayer, reflection and celebration.
We have special assemblies to celebrate Harvest and Christmas and to commemorate and celebrate Easter.
We are also regularly visited by church leaders who take assemblies and encourage the children to visit their places of worship.
Assemblies are also time for giving children information and talking about school issues. On various occasions throughout the year our children lead assemblies to which parents and friends are invited.
We celebrate Christmas and Easter as a Christian Community at St Matthew’s Church in Brixton and Herne Hill Baptist Church with concerts, performances and presentations.
Our last RE Inspection was in June 2013 when we were judged as an outstanding school.
For other curriculum subjects click the following links: